Locke Lord LLP
TITLE: Library Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Information Services
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Library Assistant enhances the value of the Firm’s library collection by ensuring that all materials in the Chicago library, as well as those in regional libraries, are received, checked in, processed and forwarded to the appropriate location. This position is responsible for the following library functions: materials processing routing, database maintenance, library maintenance, ready reference, inter-library loans for all library locations, – and other duties and responsibilities as assigned or needed. The Library Assistant reports to the Technical Services and Library Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures the timely receipt and routing of publications to firm recipients. Promptly notifies attorneys of receipt of wanted materials, prints and adheres routing labels and forwards via interoffice mail.
- Assists Manager with maintaining integrated library system, EOS Records volumes, issue numbers, publication dates, and number of copies received. Identifies missing materials in order to initiate claim process. Participates in the ongoing training for EOS by attending EOS periodic web training.
- Works with outside filing service company with materials that require updating.
- Maintains overall physical organization and appearance of Library by ensuring materials are properly returned to the shelves.
- Assists Library users to locate print materials located in main Library. Assists with ordering articles, locating and requesting interlibrary loans and ready reference. Bills time in accordance with Firm policy, when applicable.
- Works with local library community to borrow and loan materials as needed.
- Participates in weekly team meetings with fellow staff members from all offices. Assists librarians across the Firm as needed.
- Coordinates the activities of filing service personnel by answering questions, providing them with work materials and ordering missing materials.
- Helps in maintaining filing and shelving in Chicago.
- Coordinates routing of materials in Chicago and regional offices. Updates and maintain lists of routees & routing materials, and keeps list of Chicago publications current to reflect changes in holdings; keep route lists current as attorneys leave or are added.
- Works closely and coordinates with the Chicago Reference Librarian with projects as assigned.
- Ensures Manager receives all invoices that are received and assists with any processing of invoices if requested.
- Assumes additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong technological skills and an attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently while providing timely and accurate work product.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office software particularly, Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Sharepoint a plus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communications and customer service skills, and ability to interact effectively with all levels of Firm personnel and clients.
- Demonstrated aptitude for problem-solving and managing issues to satisfactory closure.
- Proven resilience and adaptability in a fast-paced work environment.
- Prior library experience strongly preferred.
Locke Lord is not working with search firms on this position (no calls please).
Locke Lord is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or veteran status.
Interested candidates should submit their application to our Staff Recruiter: Katie Congleton, firstname.lastname@example.org