Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Research & Knowledge Coordinator
JOB SUMMARY: Coordinates all research and knowledge management aspects for the Research and Knowledge Services (R&KS) department in Chicago. Ensures continuity of Research & Knowledge Services operations in conjunction with the NY Office Manager. Participates in providing firm-wide research and knowledge services in conjunction with the R&KS staff from all other offices. Works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to develop and maintain selected practice area databases and websites. Helps plan and implement department outreach, training and orientation programs. Evaluates and recommends new information resources.
• Partners with NY Office Manager on Chicago Office day-to-day operations and firm-wide research and knowledge management initiatives, incorporating new technology with online and print sources.
• Uses department workflow software to coordinate, distribute and record research and knowledge management requests for Chicago R&KS staff.
• Works independently and with the Knowledge Management team and with selected practice areas to choose, collect, organize, and update content for practice area websites and databases.
• Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of knowledge management initiatives and to solicit their participation.
• Provides full legal and corporate research to attorneys and support staff in Chicago and firm-wide.
• Designs, implements, and schedules department outreach, orientation and training programs for attorneys and staff, including LexisNexis, Westlaw and other outside vendor trainings.
• Serves, or appoints individual research analysts to serve as liaison to Practice Departments for ongoing business development and associate training requirements.
• Promotes research and knowledge management best practices to the R&KS staff.
• Disseminates knowledge resources via intranet and databases, provides attorneys access, and encourages effective use.
• Evaluates new and updated versions of information resources, both online and print, and recommends beneficial information sources for the Firm.
• Monitors email on mobile device while out of the office and during off hours and coordinates with staff in Chicago and other offices to complete pending requests.
• Serves as the Chicago Office Webmaster for the Chicago R&KS page.
• Develops a network of resources outside the Firm.
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
• Manages Firm resources responsibly.
• Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER JOB-RELATED COMPETENCIES:
• Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
• Expertise in using computer-based research tools: LexisNexis, Westlaw, Debtwire, Checkpoint, Bloomberg Law, Thomson One, IntelliConnect, Practical Law, HeinOnline, and more
• Thorough working knowledge of online and print legal and corporate information sources
• Strong understanding of knowledge management principles, technology and best practices
• Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
• Demonstrates close attention to detail
• Proven ability in using WYSIWYG web page editors or have working knowledge of HTML coding
• Ability to delegate work effectively
• Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
• Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to organize and prioritize work
• Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
• Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
• Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
• Flexibility to travel
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or equivalent degree.
• Experience or educational background in Knowledge Management and the application of information technology to knowledge sharing.
• Minimum of six years of experience conducting research in a legal setting, in a law firm or equivalent environment.
• Minimum of two years of staff coordination experience.
• Minimum of one year of experience creating and maintaining web pages.
• Experience developing and implementing training or instructional programs.